Breach of Contract

Breach of contract Lawyers Glasgow

If your employer has breached your contract, you may be entitled to compensation. Regardless of whether or not your contract is in writing or was agreed verbally, it will be governed by the terms agreed between you and your employer, or those which are included in the contract or by law.

Breach of Contract Tribunal Claims

If your employer has breached a term of your contract, you may be entitled to compensation. While most employment law contract disputes are settled informally, sometimes the need arises to have an employment tribunal adjudicate on your dispute.

As stated above, you have a contract with your employer whether one exists in writing or not. If your employer does not keep to the terms of the contract or attempts to alter it without your consent, the contract is said to be breached.

Examples of breach of contract include:

  • Non-payment of wages
  • Non-payment of other contractual benefits (e.g. expenses)
  • Non-payment of sick pay
  • Non-payment of holiday pay (see also unlawful deductions from wages)
  • Non-payment during notice period
  • Failing to observe the contractually mandated disciplinary or grievance procedures
  • Alterations to your terms and conditions without consent

If a contract is not in writing, then the terms will be governed by what was verbally agreed between you and your employer and what is contained in any literature (such as an employee handbook or offer of employment) which relates to the job in question.

Some terms are said to be ‘implied by law’. This means that they are automatically included by law. These include things like working time regulations, your right to a safe and secure working environment, a right to be paid the national minimum wage and a certain minimum amount of holiday.

In addition, certain things may become ‘implied’ into the contract of employment if they have arisen as a result of long-standing practice on the part of the parties.
As such, even if there is nothing in writing,  you may be able to make a claim for breach of your employment contract.

If you need representation at an employment tribunal in respect of a breach of your employment contract, we can help. Read more about our employment tribunal representation services.

Employment Contract Lawyers Glasgow

If you think you are involved in an employment contract dispute, call us on 0141 576 4808 or email us at This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Unlawful Deduction from Wages

We are often approached by clients who have not been paid the correct wages – either because their employer has not paid them at all, or because they have not received the right amount. We can advise clients on how they can go about recovering this pay.

Wage Deductions – the Law in Scotland

Before an employer can lawfully deduct any amount from your wages, one of these conditions must be met. The deductions must be:

  • Authorised by law – e.g. Income Tax, National Insurance Contributions, Student Loan etc.
  • Authorised in the employment contract
  • Consented to by the employee in writing prior to the deduction being made.
  • Authorised by a Court Order

There are other occasions on which an employer can make a deduction from your wages. For example if you are accidentally overpaid.

If you think your employer has made an unlawful deduction from your wages, you can make a claim for unlawful deduction of wages in an employment tribunal.

At Alexander McBurney Solicitors, we are experts on advising our clients on how best to approach breach of contract claims and unlawful deduction from wages claims.

If you have been paid less than you feel you were entitled to, or you have had your wages ‘docked’ for whatever reason, contact us today.

Contact Alexander McBurney Solicitors

If you think your wages have been unfairly deducted from, call us on 0141 576 4808 or email us at This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Latest News

All blog entries from